Monday, July 23, 2007

Sport Pilot Powered Parachute Land Rating!

Now that my aircraft is registered and inspected, the only step I have remaining it to add a “Sport Pilot Powered Parachute Land” rating to my pilot license. Since I already had a Private Pilot license for “Airplane Single Engine Land” (think regular Cessna and Piper airplanes) the transition process was rather simple. First, I had to contact a CFI (flight instructor) and receive a flight review and a recommendation to take a checkride. Next, I had to contact a second CFI and receive a checkride. Once both steps are passed I will be qualified to legally fly my N-Numbered Powered Parachute.


I contacted the first CFI to work with me on the first part (receive training, review and recommend me for the checkride) to arrange a schedule. He planned on attending an upcoming fun-fly in my area and we planned to met there and discuss the process. I then contacted a second CFI to start the planning process to give me the checkride. He also planned to attend the same fun-fly and I arranged to meet with him there.


To make a long story short, I arrived at the fun-fly and was immediately met by my dealer, the guy that sold me the aircraft. He immediately directed me to the first CFI who immediately started a flight review with me. I had expected a discussion on scheduling, but instead we completed every necessary for him to give me his recommendation to take a checkride.


Immediately after receiving that recommendation, I was told the second CFI was waiting for me. That step involved another lengthy oral examination. Due to a weather problem my checkride was delayed till Sunday morning, and as soon as the weather broke (fog in the morning), we were up in the air and performing the checkride.


So, my original plan of discussing the process and scheduling each step for the future fell apart as I was pressed into the examination immediately. Fortunately, I knew my stuff well enough to get through both exams. Not bad for not studying.


Now, I am a Sport Pilot with a Powered Parachute Land rating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home