Saturday, March 31, 2007

Business Telemarkers

I mentioned a few years ago that I was going to stay away from any office issues. But I felt this issue, whereas it does happen in the office, is not directly office related and could happen in any office. I am talking about the telephone sales cold call. This is where a salesperson calls you up and tries to get you to buy their product. Over the years I have received hundreds of these calls and a few of them stand out.

I received a call from a salesperson for a national computer supply company. Let’s call her Ann. Ann seemed to be a nice, perky, young, 20 something female, at least from her voice. Boy could she flirt. She tried every combination that she could think of to get me buy something from her. Early on she said I was, “on her cool list,” thinking that might help butter me up. I still was not interested in providing her the various makes and models of our computers, printers and copiers. She asked more and more questions about the company, who approved what, how is it done, who is involved and as usually, I gave no names and no information. After several minutes of discussion, to include a discussion of the ice storm we have here and the unexpected 6” of snow they have there (she said she was near Seattle) she again tried to get that information. Still, with no information provided, since warned me that I was slipping off her cool list. Well, I slipped, fell and tumbled right off that list. She was not happy. I did give her my business email so that she can forward her contact information (as I do with all sales reps) but other than that, no promise of anything.

This call reminded me of a call I received a couple of years ago. This caller was the absolute worst sales representative I have ever heard of. He cold called me and wanted to sell us toner cartridges for our printers and copiers. I would not give him makes or models nor would I confirm any model or manufacture he mentioned. He said his toner cartridges were 150% guaranteed to out perform any manufacturer’s cartridges. He offered to send a few sample, “If you don’t like it, send it back in 30 days and tear up the invoice.” Well, I have seen that scam before. I said no.

He said, “Don’t you want to save your company money?” I told him I am always interested in saving money and that he can send me a price sheet and we will consider it. He continued to stress the benefit of purchasing their product and we discussed it for a few more minutes. He continued to insist that I try the free product and that he should send it out immediately. Again, I declined the offer and informed him that I cannot accept free samples or gifts.

And then he said the strangest thing. He said, “I am going to get your fired. I want to talk to your boss right now. Since you refuse to save your company money your boss will fire you. Transfer me right away.” Whoa! That is a new tactic. I told him that I would not do that and he responded. “I will just call back and ask for your boss. You can save yourself a lot of grief right now by trying this free sample.” Again, I know that scam and I told him, “Thank you no, we do not want your product nor are we allowed to try free samples.” He responded with, “You better clean out your desk. I am calling your boss.” It is more that a year later and I am still here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home