Saturday, March 31, 2007

1/2" Sandwich

I was at my local Subway Sandwich shop the other day waiting to order my lunch. When the line moved down to the lady in front of me, she ordered a, “half inch tuna on wheat.” Yes, a “half inch” sandwich she said. The sandwich maker grabbed a foot long wheat loaf from the bread case, I guess it is a bread warmer or keeper, and placed the loaf in front of him on the counter.

The lady said, “I wanted a half inch sandwich.” The sandwich maker replied, “I need to cut the bread,” and he proceeded to cut the 12 inch long loaf of wheat bread in half and placed one half of the loaf back in the bread case.

“That is a half inch sandwich?” asked the lady.

"Yes,” came the reply.

“That is a big sandwich,” she said.

The sandwich maker proceeded to put the cheese and tuna on the sandwich and then cut 1/2” off from the end. He showed the sandwich to the customer and said, “This is an one half inch sandwich. Is that what you want?”

“No, I wanted the half inch sandwich which is about this long,” whereas she showed her hands approximately 6 inches apart.

“So you want a 6 inch or an one half foot sandwich, this big?” as he held up the 6 inch long half loaf.

Suddenly a light bulb must have gone off. The lady had a face full of embarrassment after realizing that she had been saying one half inch while meaning one half foot. The sandwich maker finished the sandwich and included the one half inch he cut off.

I looked around the restaurant at the dozen or so people in the room. All of them had smiles on their faces. But, my quickly I became a little embarrassed for this whole incident because once my sandwich was done, I ended up paying for both of them. Yeah, I was with the lady.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home