Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I Lost My Network Channels

I received a card in the mail yesterday from my satellite provider stating that I was going to loose my network channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, etc.) on December 1st . The card suggested that I call up Dish Network (the satellite provider I had) and discuss their options. So I called them up.

The only options they had for my location is for them to place a rooftop antenna to pickup my local broadcast channels. I can get ABC and FOX locally but my NBC and CBS stations are too far away except with the larger rooftop antennas. But, I had another problem. Since I rent my house, my landlord will not allow the placement of a rooftop TV antenna on the house. Therefore, there was no option to for me to receive NBC or CBS stations.

Dish Network recommended that I contact my local cable company about receiving "Lifeline" or basic network channels. So I called my local cable company and discussed this option. They could offer me a basic cable channel package but my home lease got in the way again. In order to have the basic cable channel package to get the networks and keep my Dish Network satellite system for the wide selection of channels offered, I would need to double wire to all TVs in the house, having one wire for Dish Network (which is already there) and the second wire for the basic cable service. Based on the terms of my rental agreement I cannot install the second wiring in the house, unless I ran them across the floor and along the walls. Not a solution as far as I am concerned.

So, I was left with two options. Either I will have to loose my network channels, something that I really did not want to do, or switch to the local cable company. After much thought and discussions with both Dish Network and my local cable company, I decided to switch to my local cable company. They offer similar packages and features for a similar price.

I understand why I am losing the ABC and FOX networks since both are offered in my area. What I do not understand is why I cannot get the CBS and NBC networks? Both of these networks are offered out of Quincy, IL and Hannibal, MO and many of my neighbors get these channels with a large rooftop antenna. Dish Network also offers these stations to their Dish Network subscribers in those areas. But, according to Dish Network, I am not in the marketing area for these Quincy and Hannibal stations; therefore I am not eligible to receive those channels.

So, if I want to keep my networks I need to switch to my local cable TV company. This is something I really didn't want to do, but I guess I must. Off to the cable company I go.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home