Saturday, February 05, 2005

Time To Get In Shape - Part 3

It has now been over a month with my new BowFlex Sport and it is time for a follow up. With 6 weeks recorded on my exercise charts I have the following results to report. I have lost about 1 1/2” from my waist and a measured total of 12 pounds lost. Yeah!

The one difficult thing about this BowFlex is that since I am not an exercise guru, I am not familiar with the exercises necessary to build a good routine. And, I am not familiar with all the muscle groups and names used by many of these exercises listing in the BowFlex manual. As I said in a previous blog posting, I was able to figure out a basic exercise routine from the BowFlex website information and I have been using that routine for a few weeks.

About three weeks ago I received the BowFlex training software. After spending a few days with it (and you need a few days to learn it) I would consider this software MANDITORY for any BowFlex owner or user. The software allows you to enter your weight, size, body measurements and anything else about fitness you want to track. Then by using a standardized evaluation fitness test the program will know your fitness level so that it can plan an exercise routine for you and watch your progress.

After setting up the software I discovered that the routine of exercises I first started with was a good place to start. Using the software to generate a complete exercise routine for me was simple and easy. After doing these exercises for a few days I discovered that some were too easy and I either increased the resistance (weight) and/or the number of reps. “No pain, no gain,” they say. After the first week I added a couple of the exercises I originally started with to my current routine and I am happy with the progress.

Now I feel more energetic every day. Three people have commented that I look like I lost weight. That’s great! My clothes are not as tight and I feel healthier. Maybe it is just a high from exercising. I think one of the important points is that I have worked my BowFlex time into my daily schedule and that will help insure that I stay with it.

The BowFlex software is very flexible. Not only will it print exercise chart for all the exercises you have scheduled for that exercise period (usually a week at a time) but it can print out full color instructions on how to setup and perform each exercise with notes to help you keep good form throughout the exercise. If your computer is handy you can view video clips of each exercise to see exactly what they are taking about. If you want a short workout one day and a longer one the next, the software can handle that. Select the approximate workout time for each day and the part of the day you wish to exercise (AM/PM) and let the BowFlex software do the rest. I sound like a salesman right? Well, I like this product!

So far I am very happy with my BowFlex. The variations of the exercises have prevented me from becoming bored (as I did with my “skiing” machine). After one month I have seen progress and there is hope for continued progress as times goes on. My goals are large and they will take a long time to achieve. I think I have a plan that may work.

I have done one important thing for this to work. I have placed my BowFlex in a location in my home where I will always see it and if I see it, I use it each morning when I get up and as I drink my morning coffee and juice. So, all the important points are 1) I am using it, 2) I have make progress to my goals, 3) I have incorporated it into my normal daily routine that will help keep my using it, and 4) it is fun!

Wish me luck!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home