Sunday, December 26, 2004

Time To Get In Shape - Part 2

It has been over a week since I have received my new BowFlex Sport and I have been using it almost daily. They recommend 3 times a week to stay in shape but what about getting into shape? They said you can do more that 3 routines per week but to vary what exercises you do so that you are not doing the same exercises every time. Which exercises should I do what one of the first questions that came to mind. With 60 plus exercises listed in the manual, I wondered if I had to do them all. So I called BowFlex customer support.

"No, you don't have to do all of the exercises," they said, unless I want to. They did recommend their computer software to help tailor a training program and track my performance. Oh, another $60 dollars. The Customer Service Representative was good at explaining the pros of the software and I decided, what the hell, so I ordered it. I spent a lot already on the BowFlex (ok, I charged it and I have lots of payments to make). But, I did get, from the conversation and the web site, a short list of exercises that I should do. They had two lists on their web site, one for strength training and the other for an aerobic workout.

So, after a week now I do feel the workouts. "No pain, no gain" they say and I am sore in a couple of muscle groups. The exercises are easy to do and the time taken between exercises to disconnect and reconnect the various cables, handholds and bars gives a short rest between each exercise. I find this helpful for me.

The hard part so far is to determine what weight (or "resistance" is the term that BowFlex uses) to use for each exercise. So I have experimented. Some exercises I had too little weight (resistance) and others too much. Also, sometimes one exercise tired me for the next. So after some experimenting, and moving exercises to other positions in my routine, I am slowly building a list of exercises to do, in what order, with a known starting weight (resistance) and a specific number of reps. Bowflex told me that lighter weight and more reps for an aerobic workout but more weight with less reps for a strength training workout.

I am probably doing it wrong but I have groups various exercises together because they either have the same weights or are using the same accessories (hand grips, lat bar, etc). I think that by minimizing the weight changes or accessory changes my workouts may get better.

Hopefully when the software gets here (and they said is 10 days before it ships) I will have a better training too in hopes to loose weight. Only time will tell.

So, have I lost weight? After a week, I don't think so and I haven't weighed myself. My goal is to not only loose weight but to loose inches, several of them in fact. I feel like my clothes fit me better now (not so tight) but that might be only perception. Bowflex says to give it a six week challenge so by the end of January I should know something.

The hardest part is staying on a routine and doing the exercises on a regular basis. I think I have placed the BowFlex in a good position that I see it and will be more apt to use it daily. Time will tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home