Friday, January 01, 2010

Sometimes There Is Justice

A few weeks ago I was heading towards work bright and early in the morning. My drive to work usually starts just before the sun comes up and it starts down a regular 2 lane road. Just as I turned onto this 2 lane road another drive approached very fast and stayed right behind, hugging my bumper. Obviously this person was in a hurry and appeared as if he wanted to pass. Unfortunately, this is a no passing area but that has not stopped a lot of other drivers. Today, on coming traffic, only a few vehicles, kept this individual from passing.

Soon I approached an intersection and I needed to turn left to get onto the highway. I stopped at the light and waited with this other car, again, right on my bumper. The light turned green and I turned left onto the on-ramp of the highway.

This on ramp is two lanes and does a sweep right turn and runs under the road I was just on. I looked for the other driver and didn’t see him as I accelerated down the on ramp toward the highway. As the on ramp went under the road I was just on, the right lane of the on ramp merges into left lane, the lane I was driving on, and at the same time it merges onto the highway.

Just as I go under the bridge for the road I was just on, where the on ramp is now one lane, this missing driver appears on the right side of my vehicle, on the shoulder trying to pass. I did a quick check of the highway to my left and I moved over a lane as the other driver slowed down, obviously realizing that he/she was on the shoulder (It was still too dark out to recognize the driver).

I watched my mirrors as this other driver quickly crossed two lanes to the left lane of the highway (the highway was only 2 lanes here with what was left of the on ramp) then accelerated down the highway past me. As he passed me he dove into my lane and slammed on his brakes. I immediately slammed on my brakes and moved to the shoulder to avoid hitting the vehicle, and then the other driver moved back into the left lane, stepped on his gas and was quickly speeding down the road.

Much to my surprise, with this what I now consider a crazy driver now speeding down the highway away from me, the other driver who was in the left lane a few car lengths behind me, who had a great view of this entire incident, turn on his overhead red and blue flashing lights and pulled the driver over.

I had a rather good day that day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home